Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Resources for Parents in Virginia - @Genzandu

 Parents- This corner is for you

Are you wondering what happened to my innocent child who was so happy-go-lucky and now looks lost and in his / her world? He /she used to share everything with me and now does not want to even talk to me about how their day went. What changed? What did I do wrong? How do I help my child? You are not alone. These are thoughts that cross every teenager's parents as they battle to stay involved in their children’s life. Do the below issues sound like it’s YOU?

Expectations-

I want my child to be the best in school, get good grades, be respectful, and participate in all extracurricular activities. I would like to see them as successful teenagers. Instead, my child is more interested in playing video games and being with friends rather than focusing on their studies and spending time with family. With responsibility comes freedom and yes, I am saying this the other way around. This is because I am talking to the parents. We can sort this out, it’s normal.

Authority-

Do you feel like your authority is slipping away? Your child does not listen to you anymore. Yes, it is normal but it is nothing that cannot be changed. We just need to start thinking with a child’s hat on and the strategy changes.

Friend vs Parents-

My child listens more to outsiders than to me. I want to talk to him/her but he /she shuts me out. They want to talk to their friends and people outside. Remember every person that comes into your child’s life has an impact on them. If you would like this perspective to shift you need to be your child’s best friend and I promise it's possible.

I am a teenager’s mother and let me give to a preview of my own experiences

Firstly, let us admit our children have entered adolescence and are ready to step into the outside world. When Tarang (my son) is having a tantrum I replace a screaming match with firmness “ I think both of us need a few minutes to break, let's revisit this conversation in about 30 minutes when both of us have calmed down”. Remember what you give is what you will get. You scream that is what you are going to get. Trust, Respect, and honesty are the three essential elements to raising a confident young adult.

Modeling Behavior-

Research proves that teenagers follow more by following than by instructions. In other words, if you would like your teenager to be a certain way, you require modeling that behavior to ensure that your child follows it. Actions have more impact than words. Your child’s brain has a potential that is yet to be unleashed and you can play a colossal part in it. 

  • Pick your Battles
  • Teenagers and Emotional Intelligence
  • Volunteering is Key
  • A busy Teenager is a teenager out of Trouble
  • Help your child with setting goals

As parents, if you are struggling, please reach out to me and schedule a session. My research is focused on shaping the minds of 14-18 years old young adults. I would be happy to help you.

For more information visit: www.genzandu.com

Post a Comment

0 Comments